Digital Notan Formative – Kick start

Today for the SLJ I did Digital Notan Formative – Kick start. We had to make an art piece called Notan. Its a type of Japanese art where you make and art piece and you coulr half of the art piece white, and the other half black. I decided to go for a nice flower looking art piece. Please leave a positive comment on my blog. Thank you!

What is Notan art?
A notan drawing is simply a drawn work of art which highlights the interplay between light and dark spaces and seeks to create some sort of balance between the two.

3 thoughts on “Digital Notan Formative – Kick start

1. Kia Ora Swaimah

Estherose here from St Patricks School! You have done an amazing Notan art work. I love the symmetry of your flowers and the sun with great line work. You have put a lot of effort and time into this activity.

I hope you have a lovely day and God Bless!

Your Friend – Estherose

2. Kia ora Swaimah,

Your Notan Art piece is very effective. You have put a lot of thought into the design, size, and placement of your shapes.
    What made you choose these shapes? It makes me think of flowers and leaves in the sun.
    What did you find easy or challenging in the task?

Whaea Michelle
    Manaiakalani Facilitator – Horowhenua

3. Kia ora Swaimah,

Thank you for including a helpful and informative description that gave me a good understanding of what Notan art is. Do you know any artists that use the Notan art technique?

Do you know what Notan art reminds me of? Ying and Yang. If you read up about Ying and Yang it says it is the contrast between dark and light, positive and negative, masculine and feminine. In some ways I feel like that’s what Notan art is. What do you think?

I like your Notan design. I can see the sun, some flames and maybe a flower. Is that correct? Either way, the whole design gave me summer vibes which I really liked.

I think I would like to make some Notan art.
    Could you explain to me the steps of how to make it so I can give it a go?

Anna
    SLJ